Subject: Re: CCL:langage

From: Jochen Kuepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 10:32:47 +0100

:> For me I have to choose a programming langage. Indeed, facing a serious
:> need for a broad range of specific programs for molecular engineering of
:> energetic materials (implementing simple and efficient empirical models
:> based on molecular mechanics, groups increments, QSPR relationships...) 
:> we have these programs written by students who remain in the team for
:> short training periods (few months). 
:> In this context of fairly long-term projects with high turnover and poor
:> communication between succesive programmers, pieces of code written by
:> some people must be used easily by others, hence codes must be at least
:> modular. Experience with Fortran has shown us that training students,
:> because of the limited time allocated, are in a hurry to implement as
:> much as possible, and resulting code is not well structured. On the
:> other hand, since they are mostly students in physics or chemistry, most
:> of them do not master C or C++ , although all of them have some
:> programming experience, for instance with Pascal or Basic.
:> 
:> According to me, none of those free langages, C, C++ and Fortran, is a
:> good choice and I am looking for a SIMPLE langage supporting REUSABILITY
:> and QUICK DEVELOPMENT. 
:> 

I would say C++ is not that hard to learn, if you are using it for 
impererative programming.

But you might as well want to take a look at phyton or Tcl/Tk.

Jochen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Jochen Küpper

  Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf     [email-masked]
  Institut für Physikalische Chemie I
  Universitätsstrasse 1, Geb 26.43.02.19       phone ++49-211-8113681
  40225 Düsseldorf                             fax   ++49-211-8115195
  Germany             http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen
-----------------------------------------------------------------------