Subject: Re: CCL:Summary: Fortran for Irix 6.x

From: "Omar G. Stradella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 12:38:17 -0400

Christian Klein wrote:
> 
> Thanks to all who responded!
> 
> Here is the outcome:
> 
> SGI does provide Fortran compilers for the latest Irix versions. Both
> f77 and f90/95 compilers can be bought as part of a package (MIPSpro
> Compilers package), which also includes C and C++. Some responders
> acknowledged the good performance of these compilers.
> 
> >From a conversation with an SGI sales representative, however, I
> concluded that the cheapest solution for our lab will cost at least
> $1500, and probably twice as much.
> 
> Free, or cheaper, compilers do not seem to be available.
> 
> Konrad Hinsen wrote that he used to work with f2c and did not experience
> any trouble, although the generated code is somewhat slower than the one
> from "genuine" Fortran compilers. The problem with our source is, that
> it is quite large and we hope that a recompilation with a genuine
> Fortran compiler works smoother than the f2c, so we can get along with
> fewer changes.
> 
> Chris
> 

Hi Chris,

I'm almost sure that UIC is a member of the Varsity Program, if that's
the case you can try to get in contact with the "contact" person in your
University to see if you can get the compiler from them. For more
datails about the Varsity Program, check:

http://www.sgi.com/silicon_campus/varsity_NA.html

Hope this hels,

Omar.
-- 
+---------------------------------------------------------------------+
Omar G. Stradella, Ph.D.                    Supercomputing Applications 
Silicon Graphics, Inc.                          Computational Chemistry
One Cabot Road, Hudson, MA 01749, USA           N 42 22'41" W 71 33'45"
E-mail: [email-masked] Phone: +1-978-567-2258 FAX: +1-978-562-4755 
http://www.sgi.com/ChemBio                  http://reality.sgi.com/omar 
+--------  Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn  -------+