Subject: re: What are the "Dow"s and what are the "Du Pont"s ???

From: [email-masked] (Lee Huber)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 1994 11:00:26 -0600

In response to the request by Mingzuo Shen <[email-masked]>:

>Hi all,
>
>    In newspapers, magazines, advertisements, etc.  I hear <something
>or the other> Dow.  There are a lot of "Dow" chemical companies.
.............

As a recent retiree from and consultant to the Dow Chemical Company, I will
try to give you a little information about the "Dows".

The headquarters of the Dow Chemical Company is in Midland, MI and where it
could be addressed for job inquiries is:

HR- Technical Recruiting
Dow Chemical Company
Employee Development Center
Midland, MI 48674.

This group recruits for Dow USA, Dow Plastics, and various divisions.
Midland, MI has Central Research and Michigan R&D.  This site has
activities on polymers, monomers, inorganic chemicals, organic chemicals,
and analytical methods.  There is an active computational chemistry and
engineering group.  Additional R&D and production sites for Dow USA are:

Dalton, GA: carpet backing.
Granville, OH: films and foam.
Freeport, TX: monomers, polymers, catalysts, inorganic and organic
chemicals, major research site including computational chemistry.
Plaquemine, LA: similar to Freeport but smaller.

Dow USA has recently undergone a downsizing and it is probable that hiring
will be slow next year.

Some other "Dows" are:

Dow Corning Corporation, Midland, MI:  A 50-50 joint venture between Dow
Chemical and Corning Glass companies.  This is an independent Fortune 100
company with its own board and direction. Its activities are in the
organo-silicon chemistry area including polymers, sealants, adhesives,
surfactants etc.

Marion Merrell Dow Inc.,  9300 Ward Parkway, Kansas City, MO 64114:  My
understanding is that this is a wholly owned but independent subsidiary of
Dow resulting from a combination of the pharmaceutical businesses acquired
from Marion and Merrell with the Dow pharmaceutical business.  This is a
pharmaceutical company with R&D and mfg in MO and OH.  Computational
chemistry and drug modeling is included in their activities.

DowElanco, 4040 Vincennes Circle, PO Box 681428, Indianapolis, IN 46268:
This is a 70-30 joint venture between Dow and Eli Lilly and is an
independent subsidiary company with its own management.  It does mfg and
R&D on agricultural products.

DowBrands, Inc., Indianapolis, IN:  Mfg various consumer products,
cleansers, films, etc.

Essex Specialty Products, Inc., Clifton, NJ: Adhesive systems.

In addition there are global sites in Canada, Europe, Pacific, and South
America.

Hope this helps.

Lee Huber

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lee M. Huber                            e-mail: [email-masked]
HPC Management/NCSA                     voice:  217-244-4697
605 East Springfield Ave., 128CAB       fax:    217-244-4694
Champaign, IL 61820
----------------------------------------------------------------------