|CCL 19.09.09 Research Officer in Machine Learning / Materials Acceleration, NRC, Ottawa, Canada|
City: Ottawa / Mississauga (please refer to Your Challenge section for further details on location)
Organizational Unit: Energy, Mining and Environment
Duration: 3 years
Language Requirements: English
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA'S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) is the Government of Canada's largest research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development. We collaborate with over 70 colleges, universities and hospitals annually, work with 800 companies on their projects, and provide advice or funding to over 8000 Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) each year.
We bring together the brightest minds to deliver tangible impacts on the lives of Canadians and people around the world. And now, we want to partner with you. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
At NRC, we know diversity enables excellence in research and innovation. We are committed to a diverse and representative workforce, an open and inclusive work environment, and contributing to a more inclusive Canadian innovation system.
NRC welcomes all qualified applicants and encourages candidates to self-declare as members of the following designated employment equity groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
Please advise of any accommodation measures required to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. They are available to all candidates for further assessment. Related information received will be addressed confidentially.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's largest research and technology organization.
We are looking for a Research Officer (RO) in Machine Learning / Materials Acceleration to support the Energy Materials Challenge Program of our new NRC Research Facility in Mississauga. The selected candidate would be someone who shares our core values of Integrity, Excellence, Respect and Creativity.
You will initially be based at the NRC Research Facility in Ottawa for a period of approximately 6 to 12 months before the position relocates to Mississauga. The Facility in Mississauga is the first NRC Research Facility in the Greater Toronto Area and will be an innovation ecosystem hub and a catalyst for accelerating the development and commercialization of advanced materials.
You will be working in a team environment with researchers and technical experts in world-class facilities. You will be working closely on projects applying machine learning to experimental and first principals databases for the prediction and development of new materials. The work will take place in two domains: metal oxide catalysists and metal composities. You will work with both public data (available from sources such as The Materials Project, Citrine.io, etc) and experiments conducted over the course of the projects to extract features and descriptors for chemical and physical performance. In both domains, the goal is to enable Automated Material Discovery by developing machine learning models which can both predict performance and suggest new compositions and processing steps to improve it. This will be accomplished through the application of both existing AI/ML methods and the development of new ones.
Being in a dynamic position means that the workdays are always evolving, challenging and motivating. You are a self-starter who can excel in an evolving and exciting R&D environment and provide input into the direction and priorities of R&D activities that will be set forth by this new initiative in Mississauga. If you are that person, this may be the perfect role for you!
In joining our team, you will enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
PhD in Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
• Significant experience using machine learning or deep learning in the domain of chemistry, materials, or engineering;
• Significant experience in either AI/ML OR computational approaches to electrocatalysis / alloy design;
• Significant experience in Python (including libraries such as numpy, scipy, pandas, etc) based software development;
• Significant experience in the preparation of scientific publications;
• Strong publication record as evidenced by publications in high-impact journals; and
• Significant experience in working in a Linux environment (e.g. comfortable with standard command line tools).
• Experience in scikit learn;
• Experience in tensorflow;
• Experience in pytorch;
• Experience in working with databases (SQL, NoSQL, etc);
• Experience in deploying models in clouds (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, etc);
• Experience in working with streaming data from experimental sensors;
• Experience in experimental automation and control; and
• Experience in working with and developing web-based API's.
Condition of Employment
You must be willing and able to relocate to Mississauga.
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
• Knowledge of machine learning / AI;
• Knowledge of heterogenous catalysis;
• Ability to develop and deploy machine learning models;
• Ability to develop software and perform data science tasks in a Linux programming environment;
• Knowledge of materials characterization and materials processing techniques;
• Knowledge in software development; and
• Knowledge of powder metallurgy.
• Research - Communication (Level 2)
• Research - Initiative (Level 2)
• Research - Results orientation (Level 2)
• Research - Self-knowing and self-development (Level 2)
• Research - Teamwork (Level 2)
For this position, the NRC will evaluate candidates using the following competency profile: Research
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
This position is classified as a Research Officer (RO), a group that is unique to the NRC. The RO group uses a person-based classification system instead of the more common duties-based classification system. Candidates are remunerated based on their expertise, skill, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience. The salary scale for this group is vast, from $52,854 to $149,416 per annum, which permits for employees of all levels from new graduates to world renowned experts to be fairly compensated for their contributions.
• A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
• This position is being advertised internally and externally simultaneously, however first consideration will be given to internal NRC applicants.
• NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
• Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
• The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (7104) to:
Closing Date: 2 October 2019 - 23:59 Eastern Time
Please apply directly on-line at :
For a copy of the French poster, please go to
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources
*If you are currently a term or continuing employee at NRC, please apply through the SuccessFactors Careers module from your NRC computer.
Date Modified: 2019-09-05
|Modified: Tue Sep 10 19:40:46 2019 GMT|
|Page accessed 3814 times since Tue Sep 10 03:38:03 2019 GMT|